[eiffel-users] BSOD

Larry Rix
Has anyone else installed the lastest (and MASSIVE) Windows update and then get a BSOD?

I have had this happen 3 times now. The first time surprised me. The BSOD does its error thing and then reboots. I needed to get on to other matters, so came back to it this morning from the crash at 5 PM last night.

This morning, the machine was freshly rebooted from last night, so I fired up ES and was met almost immediately with another BSOD. So—what was I doing?

1. Loaded ES
2. Clean-compile-load of my ECF project
3. Got 7 errors where I needed a "require else" instead of just "require"
4. Added the "else" to the code
5. Clicked compile

Now—I have my ES set up that it automatically saves changes to classes in all editors before compiling (F7).

As soon as I clicked compile—BOOM! BSOD!

So, the machine reboots.

When it comes back up, I do steps 1 and 2 and get a different error.

1. The class I was changing is now garbage.
2. Thankfully—before I step away from my work, I ensure that my latest code is saved in GitHub
3. I leave ES open and switch over to GitHub to discard changes to the class "e" file
4. I then Task-Switch from GitHub-program to ES ... and ...
5. I see ES flash up and repaint on the screen
6. I know that ES has detected the new contents to the class file and is wanting to load the text for me
7. BOOM! BSOD

So, there is something about this Windows update that has changed something (for me, anyhow) where each time ES tries to access a file it BSODs

I am truly BLOCKED! HELP!? :-)

BSOD.jpg (172K) Download Attachment

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
It turns out that this may NOT be related to saving a file at all, but to the mouse and mouse settings?

First—I discovered that I could make changes to the class code and then click the "Save all" button and then compile and no issues.

However—3 BSODs later and each time what was I doing at the point of failure? Moving the mouse.

Now, this may not be something I am doing, but something I am initiating and it just so happens to fail AS I am moving the mouse. So, I am somewhat confused.

What is obvious is that it ONLY HAPPENS in EiffelStudio and it only started failing after this latest Windows update.

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
If the mouse is the culprit, I returned the mouse settings to the most basic (i.e. I turned off things like long mouse trails and so on). I now have just the most basic of mouse pointer settings.

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
I have to say—does NOT seem to be "save related".

Reducing my mouse settings to the most basic has not seemed to help. Perhaps it is a combo of the ES code + Mouse + Video-driver + Windows?

Obviously, something in the Windows Update changed something radically (for my anyway).

2 BSODs later on and my experience has been: In one instance, I had performed a clean compile, made a small change, and then compiled again. This time doing a Control+S to save the changed and then clicking the Compile toolbar button. ES finished the compile, but along the way it did this little dance (like it does) between the Outputs tab and the Error tab. I have noted in the past that if it does a Degree-6-then-5-and-then-back-to-6, the Error tab is brought to focus, but focus never returns to the Outputs tab, which is where the real work is happening. The compile finishes successfully, so I have learned to just click the Outputs tab. In this case, this is what I did. My mouse was sitting on the Outputs tab as the compile finished because I had clicked it to get it off of the Error tab so I could watch the compile complete. With the compile finished (for about 3-4 seconds), I then STARTED to move my mouse. As the pointer left the tab .... BOOM! BSOD!

At this point, ES under the version of Windows + Hardware + Drivers that I have is utterly unusable and dead.

I have no idea what to do from here.

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
ALSO: I am now seeing if it helps, but I went to my Intel video properties and reduced the settings to the bare minimum as well (i.e. lowest quality, no 3D, and so on).

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
CONFIRMED: Another BSOD (I have lost count)!

1. I opened ES
2. I clean compiled my ECF
3. I let ES just rest for a few seconds
4. I moved the mouse to the Outputs tab and hovered there for a couple of seconds
5. I start to move the mouse off of the Outputs tab
6. Mouse stutters a little (I now have mouse-tails off)
7. BOOM! BSOD!

So, at this point ES is really unusable given current Windows + Hardware + Drivers + ES

I don't know how to get to any BSOD error logs that might shed light on the specifics of the failure. Unless I want to operate ES completely by keyboard, I am BLOCKED!

NOW—this makes me wonder if anyone else has upgraded (been forced at digital gunpoint by MS) to the latest Windows version and has the same issue with ES?

I wish I could just go back to the previous version of Windows!!! STUPID MS!!!

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Thomas Beale-4

Larry,
FWIW I am on latest Win10, but on ES 16, no problems.
- thomas

On 20/05/2017 15:38, Larry Rix wrote:
CONFIRMED: Another BSOD (I have lost count)!

1. I opened ES
2. I clean compiled my ECF
3. I let ES just rest for a few seconds
4. I moved the mouse to the Outputs tab and hovered there for a couple of seconds
5. I start to move the mouse off of the Outputs tab
6. Mouse stutters a little (I now have mouse-tails off)
7. BOOM! BSOD!

So, at this point ES is really unusable given current Windows + Hardware + Drivers + ES

I don't know how to get to any BSOD error logs that might shed light on the specifics of the failure. Unless I want to operate ES completely by keyboard, I am BLOCKED!

NOW—this makes me wonder if anyone else has upgraded (been forced at digital gunpoint by MS) to the latest Windows version and has the same issue with ES?

I wish I could just go back to the previous version of Windows!!! STUPID MS!!!

Thomas Beale
Principal, Ars Semantica
Consultant, ABD Team, Intermountain Healthcare
Management Board, Specifications Program Lead, openEHR Foundation
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society
Health IT blog | Culture blog

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
Well—that's something at least.

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:41:52 AM UTC-4, Thomas Beale wrote:

Larry,
FWIW I am on latest Win10, but on ES 16, no problems.
- thomas

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
WOW—Now, even Task Switching gets the BSOD!

I was starting to write about how I was able to use ES with minimal mouse movement with no issues (so far). The only mouse movement was to the class input textbox on the toolbar and the Groups tool trew view.

I decided to Task Switch from Chrome back to ES and ... BSOD!

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Emmanuel Stapf
Administrator
Hi Larry,

You should look at the event viewer logs and check why your computer is doing a BSOD. The other options is to revert the update.

Manu

WOW—Now, even Task Switching gets the BSOD!

I was starting to write about how I was able to use ES with minimal mouse movement with no issues (so far). The only mouse movement was to the class input textbox on the toolbar and the Groups tool trew view.

I decided to Task Switch from Chrome back to ES and ... BSOD!

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
Thomas—my experience of this "Windows Update" (yesterday) was that it took about 2 hours to install completely.

2017-05 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020821)
HP Development Company, L.P. - Other hardware - HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703

I am about to rollback these updates and see what I get.

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Larry Rix
I reverted the update and no issues (so far). Stupid updates!

Larry Rix
Moonshot Software
Rocket science for everyone!
Savannah, GA
770-295-9729

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Emmanuel Stapf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Larry,

You should look at the event viewer logs and check why your computer is doing a BSOD. The other options is to revert the update.

Manu

WOW—Now, even Task Switching gets the BSOD!

I was starting to write about how I was able to use ES with minimal mouse movement with no issues (so far). The only mouse movement was to the class input textbox on the toolbar and the Groups tool trew view.

I decided to Task Switch from Chrome back to ES and ... BSOD!

Re: [eiffel-users] BSOD

ctillman

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Larry Rix <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Tillman
Developer

Re: [eiffel-users] BSOD

Emmanuel Stapf
Administrator
The first link you shared is interesting because EiffelStudio does have a lot of nested windows too. Strangely enough it works for many of us who upgraded to the Windows Creators Update so it is not clear what the cause of it.

Thanks for looking this up!

Manu

User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

[eiffel-users] Re: BSOD

Alexandr Naumchev
I experience the issue only when I try to use EIS (View -> Tools -> Info). Typically I have this tool closed, and everything goes well.

Installation information:
Version = EiffelStudio 17.1 (17.01.9.9700 GPL Edition - win64)
$ISE_EIFFEL = C:\Program Files\Eiffel Software\EiffelStudio 17.01 GPL
$ISE_LIBRARY = C:\Program Files\Eiffel Software\EiffelStudio 17.01 GPL
$ISE_PLATFORM = win64
$ISE_C_COMPILER = mingw