[eiffel-users] The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

[eiffel-users] The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly
I was checking the value of ISE_PRECOMP in the EiffelStudio command console

echo $ISE_PRECOMP

The value was displayed as expected. 5 mins later I wanted to check it again and accidentally executed the following, forgetting to type echo.
$ISE_PRECOMP

Naturally I got some sort of BASH error. But weirdly I have now cancelled the value of ISE_PRECOMP and can't retrieve it despite having tried the following obvious steps.
1. Relaunching EiffelStudio
2. Rebooting the machine

What is going on, and how can I get back the default value of ISE_PRECOMP?

[eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly
I have also tried opening a different ES project with no success.

Version = EiffelStudio 16 (16.05.9.8969 GPL Edition - linux-x86-64)

[eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly
Today I tried inspecting the value of ISE_PRECOMP on Windows from within EiffelStudio by putting the command

echo %ISE_PRECOMP%

The first time I ran it I got the expected value. Since I remembered the problem I had in Linux, I relaunched Studio and repeated the command. Just like in Linux, the value had disappeared!

Now that I know for sure what is triggering this problem, I have  filed a bug report. So far as I can tell nobody else has reported this problem.

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 10:53:14 UTC, Finnian Reilly wrote:
I was checking the value of ISE_PRECOMP in the EiffelStudio command console

echo $ISE_PRECOMP

The value was displayed as expected. 5 mins later I wanted to check it again and accidentally executed the following, forgetting to type echo.
$ISE_PRECOMP

Naturally I got some sort of BASH error. But weirdly I have now cancelled the value of ISE_PRECOMP and can't retrieve it despite having tried the following obvious steps.
1. Relaunching EiffelStudio
2. Rebooting the machine

What is going on, and how can I get back the default value of ISE_PRECOMP?

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Emmanuel Stapf
Administrator
The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?

Manu

[...]

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly

The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?

Now that I know where the standard locations are it is not really a problem. But what would be useful is a way to query the standard location set by EiffelStudio from a Python script for both Linux and windows. This is so I can install some precompiles for Eiffel-Loop in a subdirectory of the standard location during the installation setup, without having to hard code anything.

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly

The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?

On second thoughts it is a problem, because if my setup script  installs precompile ECF's in the standard location, and the user hasn't defined ISE_PRECOMP herself, then my script must rely on EiffelStudio to have the correct value, otherwise it is not possible to build a necessary tool for Eiffel-Loop during the setup.

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly

The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?

PS But  it may not be a problem provided that ec is not affected by the same bug as estudio in regards to reliably providing a default value for ISE_PRECOMP

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Emmanuel Stapf
Administrator
I'm not sure to understand exactly? How do you get the value of this
variable? Do you have some pre/post compilation tasks that you are
using? EiffelStudio is just using `ec -gui` so it is not different
than `ec` in that respect.

Manu

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Finnian Reilly <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by
>> the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?
>>
> PS But  it may not be a problem provided that ec is not affected by the same
> bug as estudio in regards to reliably providing a default value for
> ISE_PRECOMP

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join
Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly
Sorry Manu,
I will explain in more detail. Eiffel-Loop has various utilities and examples which use a scons based build system for both the finalized and workbench build. (which call ec) They depend on some precompile projects found in
Eiffel-Loop/precomp

It used to be that they would build under that directory, but for various reasons I decided it would be better to build them in a standard location defined by ISE_PRECOMP. The Eiffel-Loop setup script checks if ISE_PRECOMP has been defined at a system level, if so, it copies the EL precompiles into a subdirectory `$ISE_PRECOMP/EL'. If it hasn't been defined then the script assumes that `ec' will reliably provide a default value, so the script works out what the default value should be and copies the scripts there. The default value is easily derived from the value of ISE_EIFFEL and ISE_PLATFORM.

So now if the user tries to build an Eiffel-Loop project using scons without having defined ISE_PRECOMP, and if ec is not able to reliably provide a default value, then the build will fail with an error, "Invalid precompile location" or whatever.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Finnian Reilly <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="B0LOwVRaEAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">frei...@...> wrote:

>> The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by
>> the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?
>>
> PS But  it may not be a problem provided that ec is not affected by the same
> bug as estudio in regards to reliably providing a default value for
> ISE_PRECOMP

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
Customer support: <a href="http://support.eiffel.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsupport.eiffel.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEPTpFBJC4hKLyoK4lBIbe5YQR22g&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsupport.eiffel.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEPTpFBJC4hKLyoK4lBIbe5YQR22g&#39;;return true;">http://support.eiffel.com
User group: <a href="http://groups.eiffel.com/join" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgroups.eiffel.com%2Fjoin\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHwhmYV4sqJWqKDmSHi7D9C2etwzg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgroups.eiffel.com%2Fjoin\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHwhmYV4sqJWqKDmSHi7D9C2etwzg&#39;;return true;">http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Emmanuel Stapf
Administrator
Hi Finnian,

I do understand why you want to use ISE_PRECOMP but I do not understand how you extract the value of ISE_PRECOMP from ec.

Manu

_____________________________

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Finnian Reilly <frei...@...> wrote:

>> The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by
>> the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?
>>
> PS But  it may not be a problem provided that ec is not affected by the same
> bug as estudio in regards to reliably providing a default value for
> ISE_PRECOMP

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join
Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly
hi Manu
it would be nice if I could get it from `ec' but all I am able to do is derive the value from ISE_EIFFEL and ISE_PLATFORM.

Finnian

Hi Finnian,

I do understand why you want to use ISE_PRECOMP but I do not understand how you extract the value of ISE_PRECOMP from ec.

Manu

_____________________________
I will explain in more detail. Eiffel-Loop has various utilities and examples which use a scons based build system for both the finalized and workbench build. (which call ec) They depend on some precompile projects found in
Eiffel-Loop/precomp

It used to be that they would build under that directory, but for various reasons I decided it would be better to build them in a standard location defined by ISE_PRECOMP. The Eiffel-Loop<a href="https://github.com/finnianr/Eiffel-Loop/blob/master/tool/python-support/eiffel_loop/scripts/setup.py" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ffinnianr%2FEiffel-Loop%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Ftool%2Fpython-support%2Feiffel_loop%2Fscripts%2Fsetup.py\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEWCRPGZsC_UnkmLH9ivyxg3No-ig&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ffinnianr%2FEiffel-Loop%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Ftool%2Fpython-support%2Feiffel_loop%2Fscripts%2Fsetup.py\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEWCRPGZsC_UnkmLH9ivyxg3No-ig&#39;;return true;">setup script checks if ISE_PRECOMP has been defined at a system level, if so, it copies the EL precompiles into a subdirectory `$ISE_PRECOMP/EL'. If it hasn't been defined then the script assumes that `ec' will reliably provide a default value, so the script works out what the default value should be and copies the scripts there. The default value is easily derived from the value of ISE_EIFFEL and ISE_PLATFORM.

So now if the user tries to build an Eiffel-Loop project using scons without having defined ISE_PRECOMP, and ifec is not able to reliably provide a default value, then the build will fail with an error, "Invalid precompile location" or whatever.

On Friday, 30 June 2017 21:47:01 UTC+1, Emmanuel STAPF [ES] wrote:
I'm not sure to understand exactly? How do you get the value of this
variable? Do you have some pre/post compilation tasks that you are
using? EiffelStudio is just using `ec -gui` so it is not different
than `ec` in that respect.

Manu

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Finnian Reilly <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by
>> the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?
>>
> PS But  it may not be a problem provided that ec is not affected by the same
> bug as estudio in regards to reliably providing a default value for
> ISE_PRECOMP

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
Customer support: <a href="http://support.eiffel.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsupport.eiffel.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEPTpFBJC4hKLyoK4lBIbe5YQR22g&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsupport.eiffel.com\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEPTpFBJC4hKLyoK4lBIbe5YQR22g&#39;;return true;"> http://support.eiffel.com
User group: <a href="http://groups.eiffel.com/join" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgroups.eiffel.com%2Fjoin\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHwhmYV4sqJWqKDmSHi7D9C2etwzg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fgroups.eiffel.com%2Fjoin\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHwhmYV4sqJWqKDmSHi7D9C2etwzg&#39;;return true;"> http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Emmanuel Stapf
Administrator
My question is that you said that sometime it is defined and sometime it is not. How did you come to this conclusion?

Note that unless defined by the user, EiffelStudio defines it internally to the user's home directory (value which is platform specific). It is set as an environment variable to let sub processes launched by EiffelStudio such as the C compiler to have access to this value.

Manu

I will explain in more detail. Eiffel-Loop has various utilities and examples which use a scons based build system for both the finalized and workbench build. (which call ec) They depend on some precompile projects found in
Eiffel-Loop/precomp

It used to be that they would build under that directory, but for various reasons I decided it would be better to build them in a standard location defined by ISE_PRECOMP. The Eiffel-Loopsetup script checks if ISE_PRECOMP has been defined at a system level, if so, it copies the EL precompiles into a subdirectory `$ISE_PRECOMP/EL'. If it hasn't been defined then the script assumes that `ec' will reliably provide a default value, so the script works out what the default value should be and copies the scripts there. The default value is easily derived from the value of ISE_EIFFEL and ISE_PLATFORM.

So now if the user tries to build an Eiffel-Loop project using scons without having defined ISE_PRECOMP, and ifec is not able to reliably provide a default value, then the build will fail with an error, "Invalid precompile location" or whatever.

On Friday, 30 June 2017 21:47:01 UTC+1, Emmanuel STAPF [ES] wrote:
I'm not sure to understand exactly? How do you get the value of this
variable? Do you have some pre/post compilation tasks that you are
using? EiffelStudio is just using `ec -gui` so it is not different
than `ec` in that respect.

Manu

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Finnian Reilly <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The value of ISE_PRECOMP is set by EiffelStudio when needed if not set by
>> the user. Why is this a problem for you that it is not always set?
>>
> PS But  it may not be a problem provided that ec is not affected by the same
> bug as estudio in regards to reliably providing a default value for
> ISE_PRECOMP

Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join
Eiffel Software
805-685-1006
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join

Re: [eiffel-users] Re: The strange case of the disappearing ISE_PRECOMP variable

Finnian Reilly

My question is that you said that sometime it is defined and sometime it is not. How did you come to this conclusion?
Yes, that's right. When EiffelStudio is initially installed I was able to check the value of ISE_PRECOMP using the built-in command line tool in EiffelStudio, by typing
echo $ISE_PRECOMP

The nature of the bug is you can inspect the value like this precisely once. After that it returns an empty string. It doesn't matter if you relaunch or even reboot the machine. So the very act of inspecting the value, permanently removes it. At first I thought it was because I accidently typed:
$ISE_PRECOMP

that caused something weird to happen to the Linux version. But then months later I did the same echo command in my Windows EiffelStudio and the exact same thing happened. I saw the correct value the first time I did it. But after that just an empty string. The value was permanently removed.

As a workaround to this problem I have defined the default value in my dot profile, and similarly in Windows, and I am able to see it in the built-in studio console.

Note that unless defined by the user, EiffelStudio defines it internally to the user's home directory (value which is platform specific). It is set as an environment variable to let sub processes launched by EiffelStudio such as the C compiler to have access to this value.

Manu

I will explain in more detail. Eiffel-Loop has various utilities and examples which use a scons based build system for both the finalized and workbench build. (which call ec) They depend on some precompile projects found in
Eiffel-Loop/precomp

It used to be that they would build under that directory, but for various reasons I decided it would be better to build them in a standard location defined by ISE_PRECOMP. The Eiffel-Loop<a href="https://github.com/finnianr/Eiffel-Loop/blob/master/tool/python-support/eiffel_loop/scripts/setup.py" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ffinnianr%2FEiffel-Loop%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Ftool%2Fpython-support%2Feiffel_loop%2Fscripts%2Fsetup.py\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEWCRPGZsC_UnkmLH9ivyxg3No-ig&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ffinnianr%2FEiffel-Loop%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Ftool%2Fpython-support%2Feiffel_loop%2Fscripts%2Fsetup.py\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEWCRPGZsC_UnkmLH9ivyxg3No-ig&#39;;return true;">setup script checks if ISE_PRECOMP has been defined at a system level, if so, it copies the EL precompiles into a subdirectory `$ISE_PRECOMP/EL'. If it hasn't been defined then the script assumes that `ec' will reliably provide a default value, so the script works out what the default value should be and copies the scripts there. The default value is easily derived from the value of ISE_EIFFEL and ISE_PLATFORM.